Thursday 4 March 2021

Le Pavillon de la Paix

What is behind the name? Just a nice picture of fashionable people eating ices? 
Well it is a picture what attracts me on so many levels - as a woman but also as a person interested in history and learning more. And more. 

Detail from "Pavillon de la Paix"
Picture British Museum Reg. No. 1856,0712.634
used under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

I love a fresh ice on a warm day. 
I love the elegant clothing of the consulate era.
I love the cheeky poems and verses what don't always translate well, but makes me giggle in front of my computer or in archives. 
I love to find hints to buildings what aren't existing anymore.
Detail from "Pavillon de la Paix"
Picture British Museum Reg. No. 1856,0712.634
used under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0




Theodor Josef Hubert Hoffbauer. Paris à travers les âges.
Paris: Firmin-Didot et cie, 1885.
Image curtesy of Wikimedia.org


What do we actually know about the building? It was attached to the Galerie Beaujolais - what is one of the galeries of the Palais Royal, named after the neighbouring Rue de Beaujolais.
We know this on one hand from this engraving by Hoffbauer, set in 1815, yet published in 1885.

Do we have any contemporary mention? Yes - we do.

In a review about a new map of Paris. No, the café isn't mentioned, but as an indication to the printer Esnault, Marchand d'Estampes et de Cartes Géographiques who is selling this new map.

Allgemeine geographische Ephemeriden, Weimar im Verlage des Landes-Industrie-Comptoirs 1808 (Well... My dear Mr Bertuch, there's no way escaping you).



In regard of having been a testing site for a new fangled way of lighting, what is enhanced by reflectors, and left the public "Très satisfait de ce nou[v]el éclairage".

(Journal de l'Empire, Samedi 27 Juin 1812 (Journal des débats politiques et littéraires, Volume 3))

What do we know about the printer of the print what gave my blog it's name?
François Jules Gabriel Depeuille may not tell you much as a name, but I think it very likely that you've seen of the prints of his workshop. I just discovered a beauty with a fun story, what I might share in the future. 


Detail from "Pavillon de la Paix"
Picture British Museum Reg. No. 1856,0712.634
used under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Tap the Link, to see the print in High Res.

Maybe I succeeded a little bit sharing why I fell for that print? 
Have a great week!




No comments:

Post a Comment